We simply love how Samsung Galaxy S8 has amazed us in all the way. We have tried to give you a detailed Samsung Galaxy S8 review covering all the features with some snap shots now the call is yours.
What We love
- Powerful Processor
- Larger infinity screen display
- Slim and slick body
What we Don’t like
- No camera upgrade
- No upgrade in battery size
- Biometric scanning is frustrating
Let’s talk about the most anticipated smartphone of this year which was also was the most talked about lately. We have seen internet bumped with thousands of articles written on Samsung Galaxy S8 preview. Although the phone is not yet released in the market at the time I am writing this, but by the time you read this Samsung Galaxy S8 Review, the ravishing smartphone of Samsung will be out in the market as it is releasing on April 21 in the US and April 28 in the UK, with pre-orders now available. Let’s dig into the Samsung Galaxy S8 review, I started the review by the brief highlights of the phone, then what I love about the phone and what I was expecting in it but was disappointed. Then later I inked down all the alluring features of the new Samsung Galaxy S8.
Highlights of Samsung Galaxy S8
- Striking Infinity Display of Samsung Galaxy S8 is the most appealing feature for an Android lover who gets attracted by how the phone looks. Writing this Samsung Galaxy S8 review is fun.
- Although there is no upgrade in the pixels of both the cameras, the Rear camera is 12 MP, and the front camera is 8MP, but as Samsung claimed the camera in Samsung Galaxy S8 series is faster than their previous versions with some fun features added as filters.
- The security of Samsung Galaxy S8 seems impeccable. No snooper can spy on your phone while you are away as the ‘’Iris Scanning’’ feature is a foolproof way to detect the identity when unlocking the phone.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 is the world’s first 10 nm processor phone which enhances the speed and battery performance as well.
- It is also dust and waterproof as it is IP68-rated. Now after reading this Samsung Galaxy S8 review you can use your phone in the shower, rain, storm as well (on a serious note).
- Samsung introduced its digital Android assistant; Bixby like Google assistant. This new AI assistant bot is intelligent enough to help you manage your phone more conveniently than ever before.
- The VR accessories; Gear 360 and Gear VR come with Samsung Galaxy is the reason I made my mind to write this Samsung Galaxy review keenly. Samsung Galaxy S8 series (S8 and S8 Plus).
- The Smart Switch feature let you transfer your old phone memory to the new Samsung Galaxy S8 without any hassle, and now you know why I love doing this Samsung Galaxy S8 review, letting you people know what the best little things about the phone are.
- The new Samsung Galaxy S8 is available in 5 exciting colors; Midnight Black, Orchid Gray, Coral Blue, Arctic Silver and Maple Gold. So let yourself be trendy and choose your color.
- The new Samsung Galaxy is available in two sizes, Samsung Galaxy S8 the standard one and Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus a slightly bigger version of this new beauty, the choice is yours. However, this is all about Samsung Galaxy S8 review.
Design- How the New Samsung Galaxy S8 Looks?
As mentioned earlier the most intriguing feature of Samsung Galaxy S8 is its larger than life screen display, named infinity screen which means it has the most narrow bezel we have seen in any phone earlier. The 5.8-inch Super AMOLED pure glass screen is expanded to cover the most of the front face of the phone which makes the screen looks alluring and large. The phone display is clear, bright and colorful, with a QHD resolution. Due to this you can view more content on the screen without scrolling much. There is now room for more apps to be fit in the home page of the Samsung Galaxy S8. Even the phone size is not large, but due to the grand infinity display the screen area is enhanced and with the 18.5:9 display ratio, you get the whole scene on your screen.
When writing this Samsung Galaxy S8 review, I was stunned and lost for a moment in the mesmerizing colors in which the phone is available, though we miss red as iPhone has launched iPhone red, that is pretty bold. The new Samsung Galaxy S8 has Midnight Black, Orchid Gray, Arctic Silver, Maple Gold and Coral Blue. Three colors were launched currently for US and UK, Midnight Black, Orchid Gray and Arctic Silver. Maple Gold and Coral Blue are for the other regions currently.
S8 is not less than appealing with a sleek round-edge easy to grip body. Matching the smooth edges back silhouette is as good as the front look. The feel is good, really good.
Although I am not impressed with Samsung S8 camera which is same old 8 MP front and 12 MP rear, as I was expecting it to be upgraded, however, S8 got some new features which are worth mentioning here. S8 claims it snaps brighter selfies and pictures even without a dim ambiance.
- Front Camera: Front camera of Samsung Galaxy S8 is 8 Mega Pixel with Smart Auto Focus to spot the faces in the photo and multi-frame image processing for a clearer, sharper picture. It has ‘’Stickers’’ option as well which is a replica feature of famous social app SnapChat, where you can instantly transform yourself into a bunny, puppy or whatever option you have in hand.
- Rear Camera: Even when you are in a dark room, or walking in a dark night Samsung Galaxy S8 can take brighter photos with the bright F1.7 lens and large 1.4µm pixels. The rear camera is Dual Pixel Sensor 12MP, Lens F1.7 and Video 4K. The dual pixel sensor snaps moving pictures clear instead or blur.
- Lock Screen Security of S8: When we spend 20 out of 24 hours on our smartphones, holding important and sensitive information its privacy is the foremost thing we are concerned about. The most important aspect you will know after reading this Samsung Galaxy S8 Review is the level of phone security Samsung has offered. Samsung claims it took your privacy as its own and designed a fool-proof security mechanism for its new Samsung Galaxy s8 phone; Iris-scanning mechanism. Irises is the name of the option in Samsung Galaxy S8. It works on the scanned images of both of your irises which are saved earlier by you. Then you have to scan your irises each time you want to unlock your phone. No one obviously has the same iris pattern as you have, even your both irises are unique, did you know that?However, irises; the iris scanning feature is for the intense privacy lovers, if you want a quick access or you want to stick with the old school unlock mechanism you still have face recognition, fingerprint, Pattern, Password and PIN options. It’s totally your call, how secure you want your Samsung Galaxy S8, I love fingerprint mechanism. it is a biometric authentication without the hassle, and yes no one else except me has the same fingerprint as I have. However, unlike the old models from Samsung, the S8 fingerprint scanner is not functional by pressing the home button and just enter to your phone. If you set fingerprint scanning, you have to turn your phone and scan your fingerprint actually by the mini scanner installed at the back of the phone besides the camera. For me, it is a little annoying taking fingerprint scanning a step further.
- Pay, Organize and Make Transactions Securely with Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung has surely kept your privacy and online security in mind. It has incorporated biometric authentication on all the main and confidential activities we are used to of doing on our phone, checking our bank account, making online purchases and browsing the web.With Samsung Pay, Samsung Pass and Samsung Knox Secured, you can implement security authentications on all of your mobile phone activities. Scan your irises or fingerprint to make purchases with Samsung Pay in-store. You can log into your bank accounts via Samsung Pass and log into your loved websites right away with the Web sign-in feature. You can also keep the private files and apps separately in the Secure Folder so only you can access them.
Let’s talk about the user interface in this Samsung Galaxy S8 review. What are the new changes in phone usage and accessibility option? What are the new functions? etc.
Due to infinity display, the bezels are almost gone from new Samsung Galaxy S8. Which means the traditional buttons that Samsung users are used to of are now gone. Let’s begin the exploration of new Samsung Galaxy S8.
People who abandoned Samsung phones just because they don’t like the user interface need to update themselves, as the new Samsung S8 is the most powerful phone launched in 2017 with a swift user interface. The Touchwiz UI is what you will love at the first grip of S8.
- Home, Back/Menu Keys: In this Samsung Galaxy S8 review, I feel it mandatory to mention that when you take the S8 in your hand what changes will you feel as compared to the older model of Samsung phones. The home key, back/menu button is no more there at the bottom of the screen because on narrow bezel and large infinity display. Now, you can just swipe the finger to go to the back menu whenever you are using a fullscreen app. The virtual keys are however there below the screen as seen in the picture below.
- Apps Drawer Button: S8 is no more having Apps drawer button, but the apps tray is still there. You can access it by swiping up or down on the home screen.
Additional Touches by Samsung in S8
S8 some noticeable little touches added by Samsung, one of the most distinct ones is the search option when you are swiping through the menus and menu has the related setting button for each app. Another worth mentioning things I like in S8 is the fonts are clear and crisp, the swift up and down of apps tray is good, The device management is smart and clean, apps which are not in use for longer will be at sleep mode to optimise the battery performance, so you don’t have to worry about background apps eating up your battery and shut them off manually, your phone will do it for you. The overall feel is super good, and there is nothing nonessential in S8, except the wrong placement of fingerprint scanner (besides the rear camera, seriously?), which is too annoying and it makes the phone grip weaker while trying to scan to unlock the phone.
Bixby-The New Digital Assistant of Samsung Galaxy S8
The new Samsung Galaxy S8 is equipped with all new AI digital assistant; Bixby which is the modified version of S Voice in the older model of the company, but it seems unuseful so far. At the launch of S8, Bixby lost the people’s interest when they heard it is without ‘’voice recognition’’ feature currently. Samsung has future promises for Bixby being an amazingly intelligent digital assistant of yours which would have an excellent voice recognition intelligence. As what Samsung claimed the Bixby voice recognition feature will be available in South Korea and US later this spring (the date exactly is unknown so far) and later in the other countries of the world. So far we can not rate a feature based on hollow promises, we write what we see.
Even though Bixby looks promising it has no support for much languages currently, but it will be upgraded soon and will be able to understand your language, this is what Samsung says.
Specifications of Samsung Galaxy S8
The Samsung Galaxy S8 review would not be complete without letting you know the exact specifications offered by the phone. Below I have jotted down the specs of both the sizes of S8; the standard S8 and larger S8 Plus.
- Colors: Midnight Black, Orchid Gray, Coral blue, Arctic silver and Maple gold.
Galaxy S8 Dimension- 148.9 x 68.1 x 8.0 mm, weight= 155 g
Galaxy S8+ Dimension- 159.5 x 73.4 x 8.1 mm, weight=173 g
Galaxy S8- 5.8″ Quad HD+ Super AMOLED, (2960×1440), 570 ppi
Galaxy S8+ 6.2″ Quad HD+ Super AMOLED, (2960×1440), 529 ppi
- Front Camera– 8MP AF, F1.7 Aperture
Pixel size: 1.22µm
Sensor size: 1/3.6″, FOV: 80, Wide selfie
- Rear Camera: Dual Pixel 12MP AF, OIS (Optical Image Stabilization), F1.7 Aperture
Pixel size: 1.4µm
Sensor size: 1/2.55″
Max Zoom: 8x (digital), Pro mode, Panorama, Slow motion, Hyperlapse, Food mode, Save as RAW file.
- Both Camera Features: VDIS (Video Digital Image Stabilization), HDR (High Dynamic Range), Selective focus (Bokeh effect), Virtual shot, Motion photo, Filters, Stickers, Stamps, Grid line, Location tags, Timer, Quick launch, Voice control.
- Video Recording: 4K video recording at 30fps, 1080p HD video recording at 30fps or 60 fps, 720p HD video recording at 30fps, VDIS (Video Digital Image Stabilization), Digital Zoom 8x, High CRI LED Flash, Slow Motion video support for 720p at 240fps, Hyperlapse video with stabilization, Continuous Autofocus video, Face Detection, Tracking AF, Take 9-megapixel still photos while recording 4K video, Playback Zoom, Video Location tags
S8- Octa-core (2.3GHz Quad + 1.7GHz Quad), 64 bit, 10 nm processor
S8 Plus- Octa-core (2.35GHz Quad + 1.9GHz Quad), 64 bit, 10 nm processor
4GB RAM (LPDDR4)
64GB (UFS 2.1)
- Network & Connectivity:
LTE Cat.16, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz),VHT80 MU-MIMO,1024QAM, Bluetooth® v 5.0 (LE up to 2Mbps), ANT+, USB Type-C, NFC, Location (GPS, Galileo, Glonass, BeiDou).
- Expandable Memory & SIM Card:
Single SIM model: one Nano SIM and one MicroSD slot (up to 256GB)
Dual SIM model (Hybrid SIM slot): one Nano SIM and one Nano SIM or one MicroSD slot (up to 256GB)
- OS: Android 7.0 (Nougat)
[Ultra High Quality Audio Playback]-UHQ 32-bit & DSD support, PCM: Up to 32 bits, DSD: DSD[Audio Playback Format]- MP3, M4A, 3GA, AAC, OGG, OGA, WAV, WMA, AMR, AWB, FLAC, MID, MIDI, XMF, MXMF, IMY, RTTTL, RTX, OTA, DSF, DFF
[Bluetooth]- Dual Audio: connect two Bluetooth devices to the Galaxy S8 or S8+ to play audio through the two devices simultaneously.64/128Scalable Codec: Bluetooth connection is stable even with ambient radio frequency interferences.[Recording]- Recording quality is improved with the High AOP Mic that minimizes distortion in noisy environments.[Bundled Earphones]- Pure sound by AKG, Hybrid canal type, 2 way Dynamic Unit.
[Video Playback format]- MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3G2, WMV, ASF, AVI, FLV, MKV, WEBM
[TV Connection]- Wireless: Smart View (Miracast 1080p at 30 fps, mirroring support available for devices supporting Miracast or Chromecast), With cable: supports DisplayPort over USB type-C. Supports video out when connecting via HDMI Adapter, (DisplayPort 4K 60 fps)
- Water & Dust Resistant: IP68
[Battery Capacity] 3000mAh
[Battery Life] MP3 playback (AOD on): up to 44 hrs
MP3 playback (AOD OFF): up to 67 hrs
Video playback: up to 16 hrs
Talk time: up to 20 hrs
Internet use (Wi-Fi): up to 14 hrs
Internet use (3G): up to 11 hrs
Internet use (4G): up to 12 hrs
[Battery Capacity]- 3500mAh
[Battery Life]- MP3 playback (AOD on): up to 50 hrs
MP3 playback (AOD OFF): up to 78 hrs
Video playback: up to 18 hrs
Talk time: up to 24 hrs
Internet use (Wi-Fi): up to 15 hrs
Internet use (3G): up to 13 hrs
Internet use (4G): up to 15 hrs
- Charging: Fast Charging on wired and wireless, Wireless Charging compatible with WPC and PMA
- Sensors & Buttons:
[Sensors]- Iris Sensor, Pressure Sensor, Accelerometer, Barometer, Fingerprint Sensor, Gyro Sensor, Geomagnetic Sensor, Hall Sensor, HR Sensor, Proximity Sensor, RGB Light Sensor
[Buttons]- On/Off key, Volume key, Bixby key
Lock Type: Pattern, Pin, Password
Biometrics Lock Type: Iris Scanner, Fingerprint Scanner, Face Recognition
Knox protection: Real-time device monitoring and protection, Virus, malware prevention (Powered by Intel Security)
Secure Folder: A secure space on the device to keep content such as apps, photos, movies, and files private using either iris scanning or fingerprint scanning.
- Samsung Pay – Credit & debit cards: supports MST/NFC, Membership cards, Gift cards, Transit cards, Reward point service.
- Bixby: Press the Bixby button to go to Bixby Home, or press and hold it to interact with Bixby using voice. Talk, See, Recommend, Remind (however, the talk feature is delayed by Samsung till this springs).
- Edge Screen: Edge Panels- Apps edge, People edge, Smart select, Reminder, Tasks edge, Quick panel, Clipboard edge, Device Maintenance, Weather, Calendar, Edge Lighting.
- AOD (Always On Display)
AOD content – Choose from a variety of clock designs and information.
Clock – Digital clock, Analogue clock, World clock, and Edge clock (option to choose color and wallpaper.), Active clock (with second hand),
Calendar Image – Select an image from Gallery or Smart Select and set it as wallpaper for the AOD screen.
And more – Set custom text, date, battery level, app notifications, and song information. Face Widgets – Experience different widgets on the AOD screen by double-tapping the clock area.
- Pin to AOD: Pin text and images you wish to remember to the AOD screen. The pinned memo can be easily viewed or deleted. You can pin memo to the AOD screen using Reminder and Share via.
- AOD Themes: Download AOD-exclusive themes from Theme Store.Decorate your AOD screen with various themes.
- Theme Services: Themes are sets of wallpaper, icons, and other design details available for download to the Galaxy S8 and S8+.
With Samsung Galaxy S8 you get some alluring yet smart accessories to enhance your S8 experience. You can personalise your S8 with variety of phone and keyboard covers, smart wireless convertible charger, and battery pack.
What You Get in The Box
If you are as excited as I am to buy the new Samsung Galaxy S8 you will get these things with your S8 box, including the phone itself of course. List of things you find in the S8 Box;
- USB Cable
- Ejection pin
- USB power adaptor
- Quick start guide
- USB Connector (USB Type-C)
- Micro USB Connector